Beginning with AS Legal Resource Center and AS Isla Vista Tenants Union, Associated Students of UCSB has had a strong presence in Isla Vista. The upstairs of the now-Pardall Center was converted into an office for the Legal Resource Center and Isla Vista Tenants Union. Six years later, Associated Students realized the potential of the space below, so AS members brainstormed the best use of the space that would welcome not only students but all of Isla Vista community members as well. In 2013, Associated Students opened Pardall Center for use by Isla Vista community, and in 2015, students voted to continue to pay for Pardall Center’s ongoing operations through student fees.
This is a space for our community to engage, learn, create, share, make connections, access resources, get inspired, recharge, manifest, find a safe space to be, get healthy, and build a healthy and dynamic community and world.
FREE RESOURCES AT PARDALL CENTER
- Hold an event or gathering in one of our main spaces
- Study in a quiet corner or share a table
- Gather 8-10 people in our conference room with a large screen
If you would like to reserve one of our spaces, please fill out the reservation form. All uses must comply with our policies and procedures.
Bike Fix-It Station and parking • Free access to wifi and computer • Free printing, copying and scanning* • Kitchenette with snacks and drinks • Safe spaces during major Isla Vista events • Legal and housing assistance from Legal Resource Center and Isla Vista Tenants Union • Composting and Recycling • Fitness classes • Charing station • Study space for individuals or groups • Quarterly Study Jams • Hold meetings • Access to a first aid kid • Organize or attend an event** • Advertise a community event or resource**
* Limited print accounts given out and are limited to 200 prints/copies (150 b&w and 50 color) per quarter.
** Pardall Center space may only be used for non-commercial activities.
IN THE FUTURE
- Educational Services
• Isla Vista History Project, recreation programs, tutoring
- County Services
• CalFresh, Santa Barbara Public Health, representative offices
- Nutrition and Health
• community kitchen, nutrition training, food distribution
- Meeting Space for:
• entrepreneurial endeavors, skill sharing, community collaboration
- Service Providers
• thrift store, animal care, farmers market
- Other Uses
• space used for extension of Isla Vista Recreation and Parks Department, Isla Vista Youth Projects, space used for governing body